[FRIAM] Abducktion

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Fri Aug 7 11:25:30 EDT 2020

Long time ago, as part of my cognitive anthropology studies, i had a lot of data about relationships among natural languages and programming languages (e.g. Native Hindi speakers learned Prolog, Pascal and SQL much faster than native English speakers) and between/among programming languages (e.g. C programmers took much longer to learn Smalltalk than COBOL programmers — and relational database experts seldom gained even minimal proficiency in Smalltalk).

There is also a lot of data that correlates problem solving / design conceptualization with 'expressiveness' of a programming language — e.g. C programmers *_cannot_* write business application programs; too much translation between domain concepts and C grammatical constructs. Functional programmers are equally inept.

The biggest single reason that OO never worked, is that programming profeciency/expertise in Java and C++ preclude your ability to think and design in objects.

davew