[FRIAM] Abducktion

Merle Lefkoff merlelefkoff at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 11:33:37 EDT 2020

I'm in Seattle hugging my 10th grader and worried about inept educational
programs as the new school year begins.  Very little creative thinking on
the part of public school bureaucracies.  Lucky for Seattle students, the
citizen-elected school board is resisting the "expert" educators.

https://www.seattletimes.com/education-lab/with-one-week-to-decide-fall-remote-learning-plans-seattle-school-board-members-criticize-district-proposal-and-push-for-outdoor-option/

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 8:26 AM Prof David West <profwest at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Long time ago, as part of my cognitive anthropology studies, i had a lot
> of data about relationships among natural languages and programming
> languages (e.g. Native Hindi speakers learned Prolog, Pascal and SQL much
> faster than native English speakers) and between/among programming
> languages (e.g. C programmers took much longer to learn Smalltalk than
> COBOL programmers — and relational database experts seldom gained even
> minimal proficiency in Smalltalk).
>
> There is also a lot of data that correlates problem solving / design
> conceptualization with 'expressiveness' of a programming language — e.g. C
> programmers *cannot* write business application programs; too much
> translation between domain concepts and C grammatical constructs.
> Functional programmers are equally inept.
>
> The biggest single reason that OO never worked, is that programming
> profeciency/expertise in Java and C++ preclude your ability to think and
> design in objects.
>
> davew
>

> On Fri, Aug 7, 2020, at 9:00 AM, Barry MacKichan wrote:
>
> Very much so. We hired a grad student a long time ago (he stayed with us
> until he retired). He wrote great Pascal programs. He wrote great Pascal
> programs in C++, and in JavaScript. The effect of your first programming
> language on style, idioms, and your feelings about recursion and
> encapsulation.
>
> —Barry
>
> On 6 Aug 2020, at 23:24, thompnickson2 at gmail.com wrote:
>
> Nah.  He means more than that.  Even ordinary languages predispose users
> to one kind of discourse or another.  I assume that programming languages
> do the same.

Merle Lefkoff, Ph.D.
Center for Emergent Diplomacy
emergentdiplomacy.org