[FRIAM] Another COVID remedy?

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Aug 15 11:20:45 EDT 2020

> I cringe at the thought of society or its government forcing or
> coercing me to do so.

I'm really just stirring the pot here.   I agree with your spirit
entirely, nevertheless,  the US military once included cigarettes and
coffee (still do Coffee) in rations, and even issued Benzadrine for
night-missions or long-haul-fatigueing missions.  Who knows what they do
nowdays...  I understand (way too acutely) that a citizen in military
service is in many ways no longer a citizen, or temporarily not a full
citizen.

I grew up in an era and locale where recreational drug use *was*
prescribed by my (sub) culture.   I struggled more than a little with my
own preference to remain (mostly) unaltered through my young
adulthood.   I restricted myself to (usually) modest use of alcohol and
caffeine to meet the "ups and downs" of life, but was often socially
denigrated or excluded for not imbibing in the full range of "whatever
was in vogue at the time".   I was careful not to openly judge other's
choices in those matters, which muted the exclusion somewhat, but I felt
*very* coerced by the subculture of the 70's youth and watched more than
a few peers fall into one "hole" or another, although usually only
temporarily (blew a semester or two of college, or a few grade points,
or a job, or a circle of friends, or a spouse).

I'm not *personally* wound up by the government-mandated (or at least
backed/encouraged) additives like flouride in water systems, iodine in
salt, VitD in milk, etc. ad nauseum.   But some are (quite acutely).   I
think the use of lead as an anti pre-ignition additive in gasoline was
(at least in retrospect) a horrific crime against a whole generation
(especially those living in dense urban areas).

Maybe I should move to the highlands of Ecuador! <grin>

- Steve