[FRIAM] where are the "patriot hackers"?

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Tue Dec 29 16:02:48 EST 2020

I think the first time I listened to John Holland talk about some science project at SFI (as opposed to just being a returning celebrity), he was talking about the problem of credit propagation in the framework he called “classifier systems”.  The issue being that you have a system with many components, all busy, each doing many things of many kinds.  Then some outcomes happen, also in an incessant and heterogeneous stream.  Many outcomes have many “aspects” — not sure what is the best word to use, e.g. my bacterial infection gets cleared but I find the hospital environment cold and unaesthetic, and the doctor is sort of a supercilious ass — and the connection of any outcome to any choice or belief can be cryptic and separated by long time intervals.  How do we propagate credit so that beliefs will be maintained in a way that gives us “least regret” in the long term (to put forth one criterion among several that could be considered)?  Part of that must mean having a sound notion of causation.  Clinical trials are responsible for the bacterial infection’s being cleared; fetishizing wealth and power probably made the doctor more of an ass.  These two are not fungible.  It sounds like it should be a simple problem, but I think it isn’t.

I appreciate the considerable care that Nick put into the way he wrote the below, and also the ability to write at that level.

Eric