[FRIAM] where are the "patriot hackers"?

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Wed Dec 30 13:00:49 EST 2020

There are situations in which one may take a provisional hypothesis and then run down the logical consequences that should occur as a result.    This can be done recursively to form a tenuous path from observables to outcomes.   These are imaginary stories.   Some of them are elaborate, like string theory.   That’s fine for a detective or a scientist provided they recognize the path is tenuous and can be made stronger or weaker with specific information.   For the detective it may be useful to do this fast and loose reasoning in order to get a search warrant – to get more evidence.  It’s not fine if they don’t seek to get evidence or quantify just how tenuous the path is, or at least recognize what they have is an arbitrary belief (or an elegant theoretical framework).   Conversely, if one has quantified how probable a chain of reasoning is, in light of the evidence, if someone else comes along and says they have another way to interpret the evidence, then they can do the work to argue each link in the chain and how likely their overall conclusion is.