[FRIAM] Graal VM

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 09:53:34 EST 2020

On 2/21/20 1:10 PM, Steven A Smith wrote:
> I'm surprised (but welcome more introspection) that you would prescribe
> *installing triggers* in the light of your proscription against
> *premature binding* in general.  I'm sure there are plenty of nuances
> I'm missing here.

That's a good point. I suppose I should distinguish between an installed trigger and a pre-existing one. My guess is their persistence differs. A pre-existing one (installed "naturally", genetics or non-conscious learning) is likely to persist longer than a purposefully installed one. I'm sure there are other ways to distinguish. E.g. authenticity, "false humility", etc.

And we can say the same thing about semantic binding. An artificially installed binding will be weaker and less likely to persist than one that "grew organically" or was defined in one's genes.

But neither need be _premature_. For example, someone who comes to believe they drink too much alcohol might install a trigger like "when I get home from work" (paired with an action like "make tea instead of opening a bottle of wine"). They may do that prematurely or it may well be totally appropriate. Most people might say if that person has never had more than 1 glass of wine after work, then such a trigger is installed prematurely because that's not really an alcohol problem. But if the person always drinks the whole bottle after opening it, then that trigger installation isn't premature. (Yes, I'm aware that the "therapists" claim alcoholics already have occult triggers that they need to discover and think about ... but I'm skeptical of their claims. And, in any case, the difference between "recognition" and "learning" is a bit of a sophism.)

The discussion of "habituation" talks a little about semantic binding and when binding might or might not be premature. So, that's fairly well handled already.

> I'd also be interested in more reflection on the qualitative difference
> between self-reflection and emotional intelligence?  Is the latter
> anything more than "pompous" name for self-reflection?  Or is it a
> particular quality or mode OF self-reflection?   I will admit to not
> having a specific understanding/definition of the term, and suspecting
> that our (half?) generational difference means that this (like a lot of
> pop) terminology means something different to you than to me (see
> discussion of basis spaces from recent threads?).

I'm too ignorant to really treat this properly. But my point (esp. in using the words "lecture" and "pompous") was along the same lines of what Rebecca (skepchick) was saying about figuring out Dawkins is wrong about eugenics. There are 2 ways to tell someone that Dawkins is wrong: 1) launch into a full graduate degree lecture series of genetics and selective breeding vs. 2) identify the critical points and place them in an example a "normal" will understand, like the cocker spaniel.

I.e. you don't need to understand genetics to know Dawkins is wrong. Similarly, you don't need to know anything about "emotional intelligence" to understand triggers and to know that your grandma has triggers just like that emo teen hanging out at the 7-eleven.

> I can't attest to your (in)competence in this, but it does feel like I'm
> starting to get it, though I'm not clear on the nuances of what you mean
> by installing specific triggers.   Roughly maybe, but I think an example
> or two might help?

By asking for more examples, it seems the original one (Ellison's Trump support) isn't meaningful for you? Another example might be learning that your organization accepted money from a convicted sex offender like Epstein. These are triggers for some people. They'd trigger me, too. And I seriously *wonder* about those who are *not* triggered by such. If being funded by a sex offender does *not* trigger someone, then I'd suggest they install such a trigger ASAP. 8^) For example, Steven Pinker didn't *seem* to have a pre-existing trigger. But lots of people *told* him he should be at least a little bit ashamed. So, my advice to Pinker would be that he install a trigger ... something like "When Alan Dershowitz asks your professional opinion on something, anything ...". That's a trigger Pinker might want to install.

--
☣ uǝlƃ