[FRIAM] A longer response to Dave's question

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Feb 22 13:32:31 EST 2020

Nick -

> What I object to is the notion that such experiences in extremis are
> èin principleç more likely to be true than ordinary ones, or, further,
> that there is any way to confirm the implications of one experience
> except through further experiences.

I believe that  /experiences en extremis /might well offer some
*perspective* or qualitatively different "truth" than more mundane
experiences.   I also believe that once one is habituated/tuned/primed
for this kind of perspective, that it can be somewhat persistent.

When I went from watching clouds form/transform/dissipate entirely
naively to having a sense of the higher dimensionality of pressure,
temperature, and humidity wherein the dynamics evolve  it felt rather
transcendent.   Now I can watch clouds evolve (especially via timelapse)
in a very different way.

A. Square had a similar experience after A. Square gave him a guided
tour of the third dimension...

?