[FRIAM] A longer response to Dave's question

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 18:55:18 EST 2020

I agree slavishly with everything that Eric wrote, except:

There are many examples that suggest certain insights-that-turn-out-to-hold-up-pretty-well, which were first experienced when under an altered state, were unlikely to have been experienced without that altered state.

I thought you were going to assert the opposite of this.  For instance, people think that hypnosis is a very special state which can only be arrived at through a hypnosis ritual or some sort or other.  They think they can do things under hypnosis that they cannot do otherwise.  But isn’t there an extensive literature on hypnosis simulation in which judges try to distinguish between subjects that been hypnotized and subjects that have been asked politely to do whatever it is the “hypnotized” subjects have been asked to do.  The judges can’t reliably do so.   I supposed one could assert that polite- asking induces an altered state, but I don’t know where that gets you pragmatically.

Can you explain?  And why didn’t you flog me with your Jamesian noodle, like I expected you to?

Nick

Nick

Nicholas Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com