[FRIAM] A longer response to Dave's question

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Sun Feb 23 06:15:03 EST 2020

Eric, Nick, et.al.,

"Well, [Dave] here's another nice mess you've gotten me into."

My issue/problem/quest — I have a body of "stuff" and I want to determine if there are ways to think about it in a "useful" manner.

The "stuff" appears pretty mundane: assertions, observations, conjectures, metaphors and models, even theory. The problem is provenance: directly or indirectly from, loosely defined, altered states of consciousness. Examples of indirect would be reports from enlightened mystics or dream experiences (ala Kekule or Jung). Direct would be psychedelics.

Nick might have me dismiss the entire corpus; stating it has the same value as the latest Marvel universe movie.

I disagree. But, by what means, what method, can "fact" even "truth" be discovered and shared. Peirce offers no real assistance. Nor does any other school of epistemology I have encountered.

Is there an approach to thinking about my "stuff" that would, at minimum, enable more consistent discovery of examples like Eric cites in #8 of his list. Would it not be useful to be able to quickly identify and focus on insights with the potential to "hold up pretty well."

Eric states there are reasons to believe (in #7) that altered states are less reliable, but I would argue, in some cases, the exact opposite. Especially with regard the ability to perceive stimuli of which perceive but never consciously "register" because our brain has filtered them out as being irrelevant. Mescaline can be an instrument as revealing as a microscope or a telescope and it would be worthwhile, I think, to learn how to make effective use of it.

The crux of my dilemma remains, I think there is gold in them thar hills, but don't have a means of mining and refining.

davew

 <mailto:echarles at american.edu>

>>> Definitions. Notation. Argh, who cares. Where’s that neuralyzer, let me get rid of them.____

>>> Marcus____