[FRIAM] Trumps motives not judiciable because they are "in his head"

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Thu Jan 30 19:00:49 EST 2020

I don’t think finding a language to talk will come from being co-opted in a bad-faith narrative where up is down and black is white, just because some people are angry and have been led to believe they want to tear truth up to revert to a game in which it is only who has power — wrongly believing it is them.

One brings character back into a community by first having character, and being willing to hang onto it.

The common language will have to come from having a material commitment to other people’s wellbeing, with enough understanding of their circumstances to address the complexity of those circumstances substantively.  I think some of that will be barn-building without talking, and the building may need to go on for a while before there is a shared base of activity to talk about.  Those who want to solve problems will need to accept that as the responsibility for the end they want, and do whatever they can think of to get to the goal, rather than being distracted by showing that they were “right" in some dispute.  Shed the vanity; keep an eye on what matters.  If there are others who just want to throw bombs and don’t want to contribute to understanding or helping anything, then that is part of the situation we have to deal with.  Good-faith people from any starting point are welcomed.  The nature of the problems will sort out who is contributing to solving something.