[FRIAM] The Covid Game

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 09:33:23 EDT 2020

Hey, thought many of you might get a kick out of this (or be horrified...
or both).

[image: The Covid Game.jpg]

Note that it starts with someone who is for sure infected, and the footnote
states it is within 1.5% accuracy for people ages 20 to 89.

So far as I can trace it back, I think the author is a guy named Clay
Dreslough. He posted it with the following guide a guide to help non-gamers
(and the guide assumes people don't own a 100 sided die... which is weird
;- ):

For non-nerds:

The number before the 'd' is the number of dice you roll, the number after
is the number of sides on the die. For example, 2d6 = roll two 6-sided dice
and add them together, giving you a possible range of 2-12. In the
'Asymptomatic' box, there is an additional step in the formula, where you
subtract a number. For example, the 'Mask' roll is 2d6-8, meaning roll two
6-sided dice and subtract eight, giving you a range of 0-4 for the number
of people you infect while wearing a mask (results below zero are treated
as zero — you can't infect a negative number of people).

A d100 roll refers to taking two 10-sided dice, and designating one as your
tens unit, one as your ones unit. The example in the upper right of the
graphic shows a 3 and a 7, which becomes 37. Rolling two 0s yields 100, not
00.

So, all the places where it asks for d100 + your age, you'll do just that.
For me, being 49, this gives me a random number from 50 to 149. I then find
the arrow matching my roll and follow it to the next box.

Finally, CON refers to your "Constitution" stat in Dungeons & Dragons — a
general measure of your physical health and endurance. The average person
has a CON of 10. An olympic athlete has a CON around 18.

Note that while the fatality rates are pretty accurate for current CDC
data, there's really no data on "permanent damage" (in the same way that,
19+ years later, we are still arguing about the number of soldiers
suffering from Gulf War Syndrome and the number of first responders
sickened by 9/11). And of course the medical community doesn't define "a
point of constitution", so that's just a guess. But I know more than one
person that's "recovered" and are still incapacitated to some degree.

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Department of Justice - Personnel Psychologist
American University - Adjunct Instructor
<echarles at american.edu>