[FRIAM] haldane — ethology

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 10:36:01 EDT 2020

As usually, there's a couple of layers to this discussion, and a lot of it
is about language.

Let's start with a few assumptions that I hope are not very controversial:
1) Our ways of talking about psychology mostly suck, being on par with what
folk-language was regarding physics or chemistry during the time before, or
right around, when those sciences were first emerging.
2) Nevertheless there IS something that people are referring to with the
sucky language. (This is a William James-esqu spirit.)

Where does that leave us?
Well, we MUST acknowledge that there is SOMETHING Frank is talking about
when he says the inner life of a dog is greater than the inner life of a
rabbit. We also want to consider seriously (without a priori accepting)
that whatever he is talking about regarding the inner-life-of-a-dog is
similar-or-identical to whatever he is talking about regarding
his-own-inner-life.

At that point, there are a few questions:
1) What the hell is it that he is responding to, when drawing conclusions
about the inner life of other critters?
2) What the hell is it that he is responding to, when drawing conclusions
about his own inner life.
3) To what extent is he responding to the same thing in both cases?
4) Given the standard implications of the word "inner", to what extent is
it useful (vs. counterproductive) for those pursuing a science of
psychology, to let that word describe the things we are talking about?

An initial sketch of the answers to those questions is as follows:
1) When referring to the inner-life-of-the-rabbit or of-the-dog, Frank is
responding to some higher-order complexity in their behavior. That
higher-order pattern is poorly specified now, but it could be well
specified in the future, following a very large volume of relatively
standard experiments. That is the type of thing a serious field doing
cumulative research could be expected to pump out over a few decades.
2) We must acknowledge that it is much harder to be *a priori *certain what
Frank is referring to when talking about his-own-inner-life.
3) At some point, when doing science, you got to pick an idea and run with
it a bit. Nick (and I) are running with the idea that the
thing-responded-to is very similar (perhaps identical) in the above
situations. And it isn't arbitrary, we have good reasons. Others are
running with the more traditional (Cartesian) idea that the
thing-responded-to in the above cases are of fundamentally different
quality.
4) Whether you want to roll with Nick (and I) or with Frank, the word
"inner" starts to seem pretty iffy. If you are rolling with Nick (and I)
there is nothing "inner" about the thing being responded to. The thing
being responded to has many causes, including legitimately
inner/inside-the-organism causes, but there is a fundamental confusions
between description and explanation that needs to be untangled, and talk of
"inner life" is interfering with that progress. If you are rolling with
Frank, you can talk about your own inner life without caveat, but you
(should) have to be clear when-dealing-with-others that all talk of
inner-life is speculation based on outer-life; and whenever you see someone
not making that distinction, you should agree (with Nick and I) that the
language is confusing the issue.

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Department of Justice - Personnel Psychologist
American University - Adjunct Instructor
<echarles at american.edu>