[FRIAM] Hard problem vs. free swill

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 12:28:31 EDT 2020

I am about to logon to vFRIAM so I will just say that the answer would be
something lie:

"Everything that is ... is experience.  To the extent that experience is OF
anything, it is OF other experiences.  Experiences can be "of" other
experiences in two ways, in sequence, and "meta".  If I experience another
experience as a dream, that is a meta experience.  Evolutionarily speaking,
detecting agency is useful.  It's useful, for instance, to detect whether an
object is bright because it has a birght color or bright because it has a
bright light on it. A lot of the circuitry in the retina is devoted to
figuring that sort of thing out.  Similarly, when, say, I find some
experience annoying, it's useful to figure out whether that annoying feature
of the experience is arising from me -- fatigue, etc. -- r for particular
feature of the experience.  Experiences  that are tagge as arising from the
self are forms of meta-experiences.  Yeh.  Something like that.  Yikes!  I
am late!

Nicholas Thompson
ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com
https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/