[FRIAM] Book publishing advice needed

Tom Johnson tom at jtjohnson.com
Sat Jul 4 14:09:00 EDT 2020

Jochen:
The deal being offered strikes me as a bad deal.

Background:  I have been practicing and teaching about "Be Your Own
Publisher" for nearly 15 years.  There are, in my opinion, some major
problems with all publishers today.  It starts with control of the
copyright.  I think YOU should want to maintain control of the copyright to
your work.  It will depend on the contract, but many or most publishers
will try to lock down the copyright in their favor for all -- ALL -- forms
of your work in perpetuity and throughout the universe.  Sometimes quite
literally.

Second, you should assume -- especially with a small publisher and you, not
being as well known  as Stephen King or Daniel Steele  -- the publisher
will do little if anything to promote your book beyond a mention in its
catalog and, maybe, some promotional links on Amazon.  Given that, a 5
percent royalty should be seen as a con.

Third, given your computing experience, you should find it easy to format
and produce the book yourself.  I have used Lulu.com for years.  It is
especially good if you want to have both hardback, paperback and PDF
editions.  Again the advantages: you keep the copyright, you can set (and
change) the prices and to a degree the royalties.  Also, Lulu and Amazon
handle all the backend financial arrangements and administration and pay
directly and quickly.  I also use a very good, high quality digital printer
in Albuquerque for paperback editions.  It is Lithexcel
<https://lithexcel.com/services/print.html>.  It handles all the printing
(one copy to any number) quickly, along with all the fulfillment and
accounting. The folks there will also, for only $25, set up your book in
the Amazon inventory search engine.  Finally, there is Amazon's
self-publishing arm
<https://www.bookbaby.com/free-publishing-guides?utm_campaign=GOOSL31&utm_source=SITELINK&utm_medium=cpc&mkwid=sNzCXe5z8_dc|pcrid|238281756657|pmt|e|pkw|amazon%20book%20publishing|slid|cWU1oXIv|targetids|kwd-362938383597|groupid|48812614458|&pgrid=48812614458&ptaid=kwd-362938383597&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0YD4BRD2ARIsAHwmKVnFci42apQ6vWUruvHuYX-FOum9VCF7bx83c_tSMHGoby8yylL_RTMaAjOEEALw_wcB>.
While Amazon might take a bigger slice, the control over all aspects is in
your hands.

Here's the problem/challenge with all of these.  *YOU* have to do the
marketing/publicity/promotion.  But so what?  If you today sign with any
publisher of any size you will have to do the same thing.

Hope this helps.  Feel free to contact me with questions.  Also you might
want to see https://bit.ly/2ZvihKc
Tom

Tom Johnson - tom at jtjohnson.com
Institute for Analytic Journalism   --     Santa Fe, NM USA
505.577.6482(c)                                    505.473.9646(h)
*NM Foundation for Open Government* <http://nmfog.org>
*Check out It's The People's Data
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Its-The-Peoples-Data/1599854626919671>*

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>