[FRIAM] God

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 16:29:10 EDT 2020

Hi, Russ,

I read this note during a bout of insomnia several nights back, but didn't
have the firepower to answer it, then, and have been stewing on it, ever
since.  If anybody else is curious it relates to PP  68-9   of this article
<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/311349078_The_many_perils_of_eject
ive_anthropomorphism> .  I have copied in the most relevant passage, way
below, but your summary is precise, so I will carry on here.  You wrote,
beginning with that summary, as follows:

1) What exactly is privileged about introspection?

2) That the process of ejective anthropomorphism starts from an identity
between the target behaviour and the observers behaviour, which is strictly
false. The example being given of a dog scratching at a door to get in.

In response, I would say there is plenty of privilege in introspection. For
example, proprioception is entirely privileged - that information is simply
not available to external observers.

Well, it all depends on what one takes a "privilege" to be.  I stipulate
that you have information about you that I do not have, just as I ask you to
stipulate that I have information about you that you do not have.  Can we
agree on that?  And I stipulate that sometimes information that you have
about you has more predictive power than the information that I have about
you, just as I ask you to stipulate that sometimes the information I have
about you (or your dog  has, since I have never met you) has more predictive
power than the information that you have about you.  Can we also agree upon
that?  I have also to stipulate that yours is a fair use of the word
'privilege".   But it is not the use to which I am putting the word.  To be
privileged, a predictive power would have to be of a kind that is IN
PRINCIPLE superior.  To make the claim, as I do, that there is no privileged
self-knowledge, I need to show that the processes by which you arrive at
self-knowledge are the same sort of cognitive processes by which you seek
other-knowledge.  Briefly, abductive inference.

I agree with you that proprioception is a good domain to explore for
thinking this issue through. First of all, since the vast majority of
proprioception is carried out in the Medulla and Cerebellum, without any
contribution from "you", I think it's fair to say that your knowledge of the
zillions of instantaneous adjustments that you made to keep from toppling
over is highly circumscribed.  Furthermore,  if I were a martial arts expert
and were teaching you to wield a sword, I bet that I would have access to
knowledge about your balance and grounding that you, yourself, would not
have.  If this example doesn't convince you, let's remember the phantom limb
phenomenon in which you, the amputee, could be entirely sure that your right
ankle was crossed over your left, when I, your surgeon, could plainly see
that you had no right ankle with which to cross.  Now, if you are like my
friend, Frank Wimberley, you will protest at this point that, while what I
say may be true of the position (or possession) of your right ankle, it is
NOT true of the feeling that you have an ankle that is crossed.  To that,
you have privileged access.  But I would use the same reductive argument on
that assertion, to wit, that it is either empty or false.  At which point
Glen will accuse me of a failure of steel-manning, which is probably fair.

Thanks, Russ, for reading the paper and getting its point.  There is no
greater kindness one colleague can grant another.   I feel I ought to send
YOU $5.  It's absurd to think that you should pay me for access to your
mind.   If we want to make money out of publishing, we should offer
ourselves up to the world as readers, rather than as writers.  Supply and
demand, man, supply and demand!.

Here below is the relevant passage: For some reason, on my screen it wants
to be in two columns, and start on the bottom of the left.  Can't fix it.
Sorry.

Nick

Nicholas Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com