[FRIAM] Book publishing advice needed

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 09:18:54 EDT 2020

Glen,
I've definitely read and processed your prior posts.

The reality of a someone else's situation does not limit whether or not a
third party can be envious, or jealous, or any of those other related
concepts. You can be envious of someone's wonderful life, even when that
other person's life is absolutely horrible.

But to return to my point, the question is still open: When grasping for
something with which to fake adding-depth to their writing, why do people
so often grasp at physics? If we agree that "envy" is the wrong term, what
is closer? What do you call the relationship between person A and person B,
in which person A thinks person B is in inherent possession of something
they need, so much that they are willing to play dress ups with a shoddy
version of person B's schtick?

Like, I get that a child who puts on their Spiderman underoos before they
go into surgery is probably not perfectly described as being "envious" of
Spiderman's bravery... but that's not too far off... and I'm not sure what
the better term would be. He didn't pick a random set of underwear, he
didn't pick Scooby Do underwear, even if he loves Scooby and Spidey evenly.
The kid reaches for Spiderman because (from his point of view) Spiderman
has something that the kid thinks he needs in that moment. And he'll tell
others too, because then others will know that he has what he needs,
because (from his point of view) others will understand that an association
with Spiderman bolsters him.

And yes, most (but certainly not all) of the time I see people reach for
physics, in a situation where they are not trying to do physics, but trying
to use physics to bolster some totally unrelated stuff they are working on,
it seems like some intellectual-elitist version of being earnestly told
that everything is going to turn out alright, because they are wearing
Spiderman underoos.

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Department of Justice - Personnel Psychologist
American University - Adjunct Instructor
<echarles at american.edu>