[FRIAM] Book publishing advice needed

Jon Zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 00:41:44 EDT 2020

While following this thread, I keep reaching for and not finding an essay
written by Adorno (or Horkheimer or another Frankfurt intellectual), where
the essayist writes about a transition that happens in the western
description of *genius*. The transition is from that of the romantic period
*rhapsodic poet consumed by madness* to the modernist *mad scientist*, a
*mad and evil genius* that is ultimately identified with the privileged role
of *truth bringer* in western culture. What strikes me as being consistent
through this paradigm shift, from an emphasis on the romantic poet to the
quantum physicist, is that this *truth bringing* is interpreted as
clairvoyance from beyond *the shroud*. Whether physics *envy* or
*authority*, the phenomenon may be a vestige or redirection of a
long-lingering cultural pattern.

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/