[FRIAM] invoking quantum woo (was Book publishing advice needed)

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 13:53:38 EDT 2020

Brief Memory:  I directed a small group of computational scientists at the
PSC including 2 or 3 quantum chemists.  We were discussing the slit
experiment and I said, "That's impossible".  The said "If it weren't true
your computer wouldn't work."  They were equation guys.  That is, they did
"ab initio" calculations.

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 11:40 AM Jon Zingale <jonzingale at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nick,
>
> It has been said that Newton's mechanics "explain nothing and describe
> everything", where Leibniz's monads "explain everything and describe
> nothing". With regards to Newton, this position seems a bit strong to me.
> His *description* of falling bodies describes (in a forward direction, say)
> by assuming the geometry of the greeks and tracing the paths of bodies.
> With
> a beer or two in me, I could argue that his *explanation* of falling bodies
> explains (in the reverse direction) by comparing the trajectory of his
> falling body to the trajectory of our own Earth and moon and then claim
> that
> this is *because* Earths and moons are like Euclid's point and connected by
> Euclid's line. Is this just bad thinking?
>
> Jon
>

> --
> Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Frank Wimberly