[FRIAM] totally missed this bit of news

∄ uǝlƃ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 12:51:50 EDT 2020

Ha! Yes, it is *your* job to inform me of things. Although it's obviously a joke, there is a bit of a social contract of sorts laying around somewhere on the floor, forgotten and trampled in our fiat currency based economy. You pay with insights into a couple of cliques to which I have little access and I VERY much appreciate it.

I can't read these papers any better than you can. But my sense is that we've long wondered whether black holes dissipate/destroy information. Hawking radiation seems to suggest they do. A richly organized planet, for example, gets sucked in and all that organization is lost when the black hole evaporates. So, these guys came up with a way that information might be a) preserved through the evaporation and b) maybe give a way to compute over whatever happened to fall in.

People who actually know what they're talking about will have to chime in for anything better than my mangling.

In other black hole news, this happened:

GW190814: Gravitational Waves from the Coalescence of a 23 Solar Mass Black Hole with a 2.6 Solar Mass Compact Object
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/2041-8213/ab960f

--
☣ uǝlƃ