[FRIAM] better simulating actual FriAM

Jon Zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 13:07:26 EDT 2020

Maybe I am misremembering (which clearly happens), but didn't the discussion
of gen-phen-like maps arise in the context of goal-function distinctions? In
this latter class, we included the thermostat system where constraining
systems to Weismann's doctrine would not be meaningful. Clearly, in the
goal-function system, an individual that changes the thermostat dial because
they prefer the house to be at 60 degrees rather than 80 degrees (a
variation on function) performs downwardly to affect the tolerance of the
piece of metal or mercury switch (a variation on goal). Are we breaking the
semantic game by now demanding that our admissable gen-phen-like maps
preserve Weismann's doctrine? I understood Glen's evocation to not be so
constrained.

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/