[FRIAM] better simulating actual FriAM

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 12:26:27 EDT 2020

Glen,

Yes.  And that is why reverse transcription was such a big deal -- Because it violates Weismann's Doctrine <https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00114-014-1164-4> .  I think most contemporary biologists still think that those violations are the province of the very small, but with all we know about epigenetics these days, the whole argument is starting to feel cranky and old-fashioned.

When I try to think about “downward-causation” my imagination always fails.  Think of four sticks, arranged in a square.  They are very flimsy.  Now add a fifth stick, a diagonal.  The whole becomes much more sturdy, right  Now, this is a clear instance of an emergent property, no?  And the freedom of motion of the other four sticks has been constrained by the configuration of the whole, right?  But where is “downward-causation”, here?  Or choose your own example.  How exactly does “downward causation” work?  It puts my mental knickers in a twist.

Nick.

Nicholas Thompson.

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/