[FRIAM] better simulating actual FriAM

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Mon Jul 20 20:12:09 EDT 2020

Hi All,

Two quick comments (two emails).

I think the way Glen has this set up below does all the main work Nick wants done.

The idea is that state spaces of different dimensions are different kinds of settings.  A state space for one ladder is one kind of setting.  A state space for two ladders is a higher-dimensional and different kind of setting.  2-sticks 3-sticks 4-sticks 5-sticks likewise.  There can be regions in these state spaces where properties are found that simply are not found in other regions.

Here I think the word “irreducible” often does better service to the idea Nick wants than the word “emergent” that he has used historically in reference to the sticks.  The property of two ladders’ holding each other up is an irreducible property of some configurations, which is not a property of other configurations.  Consider that even being in the off-diagonal quadrant of a square is a property of the square that cannot be “reduced” to a property of either of its edge-axes, because “off-diagonalness” is defined through a relation.

The reducible/irreducible dichotomy that we are using here in a somewhat informal way shares an umbrella with a variety of more technical uses that are very similar in spirit, such as reducibility or irreducibility of representations of groups in algebra, and those kinds of ideas.  I have on this list referred to Tononi’s Phi as being mainly an attempt to quantify the irreducibility of an information-transmitting pipeline made of events on some network.

Best,

Eric