[FRIAM] causality east and west

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 12:20:46 EDT 2020

Great point! There's always a mesh. Isolating off a single, abstracted, delusionally unitary region of the mesh is, I think, a natural tendency. Even if, as in some Eastern sense, one buys into something like positive feedback (impact of secondary effects over immediate effects) or even Utilitarianism (where many small bads/goods can sum to be greater than any acute bads/goods), those are *still* violent CUTS of the mesh into regions.

What interests me most is the origins of this seemingly natural, contrasting, tendency. My favorite candidate is arrogance, temporal arrogance in thinking other times are somehow worse than ours, spatial arrogance in thinking wherever we are is somehow better than elsewhere, etc. It evokes "looking for one's keys under the lamp post" (of which Firestein gives a pretty good defense in "Ignorance", by the way).

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ