[FRIAM] square land math question

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 11:48:11 EDT 2020

I'm surprised EricC didn't say "it all depends on the definition of 'square'". I regard a point as a degenerate square (also a degenerate sphere, cube, etc.). It's the same sort of object as the empty set or an identity like 0 (for +) or 1 (for *).

If all we need for a square is an object with 4 sides of the same length, then a point is clearly a square and the kid is correct. But Cody's also correct. You can't divide a finite square into TWO finite squares. But you can divide it into an infinity of infinitesimal squares. And it's similarly degenerately trivial to divide a point into 2 points.

That's the beauty of math, all you need for the object is for it to satisfy its definition. All that excess meaning y'all are piling onto "square" and its vernacular referent is irrelevant. If you stopped using the word "square" and called it XYZ, then you'd be freer to see its membership.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ