[FRIAM] square land math question

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 16:09:39 EDT 2020

Nice challenge! ... Welllll, the original question was basically how Cody might respond to the kid's suggestion that a point is a square with no area. My suggestion to Cody would be to answer the kid with a discussion about the actuality or potentiality of infinity ... or intermediately, distinguishing between *definitions* of "square".

And if you define define a square geometrically, then it makes complete sense that there is no arealess square. But there are OTHER ways to define a square. And since this kid already pulled out a sophisticated mathematical argument, it's useful and interesting to see how far that kid can go.

You're free to hem and haw about the foundations of math and which foundation you like better than another. But the point of discussing the extent of a point was to answer the kid's challenge. Answering a bright kid with "because Euclid says so" is not all that useful. >8^D

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ