[FRIAM] goal/function/robots

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 22:38:41 EDT 2020

" As soon as the machine produces the outcome we desire, we stop designing."

Oddly, in this crowd that is not true at all. Computer programming is
largely an effort to increase efficiency in things that already do what we
want them to do.  Whole areas of computer science are dedicated to
determining the theoretical limits of efficiency at tasks that are easy to
program. Search optimization and list sorting might be the most obvious
contexts for this, but a lot of agent based modeling is focused in this
direction as well.

There are MANY projects I work on where I write a program that does a task
in whatever way I think is easiest to write, and then spend 10 times longer
rewriting to do the task in some other way (usually to run more quickly,
but other times for the aesthetic pleasure of seeing the code get more
"elegant").

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Department of Justice - Personnel Psychologist
American University - Adjunct Instructor
<echarles at american.edu>