[FRIAM] Dogs, Computers, Joy

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 14:33:13 EDT 2020

Glen,

I saw you coming!  My bottom line is not predication but the explicitness of whatever predications one makes.  What could, of course define consciousness as "whatever humans do that seems to me conscious" or "Whatever is produced by a human brain".  But, after trying to do science with such definitions, I think most would realize that these definitions are incapacitating.  At that point, a scientist relinquishes those definitions and begins to seek others, definitions that actually direct one toward the possibility of finding answers.  Thus, I stipulate that definitions are part of the dialectic of discovery.  Neither I, nor Frank, is allowed to say M is the meaning of P for all time; we are only allowed to say that for some set of purposes, in some context, M is the meaning of P.  Are we constantly pressing a head toward the most universally applicable definitions?  You bet!  Do we ever get there?  Not yet!

Nicholas Thompson
ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com
https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/