[FRIAM] GPT-3 and the chinese room

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 14:39:14 EDT 2020

IDK. The controversy over the book "White Fragility" (e.g. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/07/dehumanizing-condescension-white-fragility/614146/) is a modern refinement. But our extended conversations about steelmanning, active listening, and demonstrations of understanding dovetail (as I tried to say to Gillian in response to his rant about visitors to Santa Fe).

No matter what we do in the isolation of our armchairs, it's irrelevant. Nick's invocation of embodiment is great. We *are* deep memory functions of our environment. But there's a next-order out, a 2nd order composition where interaction with *other* deep memory functions is qualitatively different from interaction with our environment. (I'm including dogs as deep memory machines, obviously ... so interacting with dogs counts. 8^)

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ