[FRIAM] In the garden of beasts

Jochen Fromm jofr at cas-group.net
Wed Jun 3 14:24:12 EDT 2020

Today during my weekly excercise in the central park of Berlin, our Tiergarten (literally "animal garden" or "garden of beasts") where I go jogging 2 or 3 times a week I met a young lady which was creating an outdoor oil painting of the park. She had numerous colorful paint brushes and an easel which she was using to create a beautiful image of the surrounding nature. The park is in the center of the city and has a long history, from the time of Napoleon to Hitler [1]. Napoleon's original hat is in the German historical museum a few km apart, and the German president resides here too, but this young lady chose to paint nature. Every time I came across, usually I do 3 rounds of about 3 km, she had finished another part of the painting. I like this raw creativity, and no matter how far our technology advances [2], this kind of manual art and raw creativity will always have a certain appeal to humans. We have for instance a startup called "ArtNight" in Berlin which organizes events where people can learn how to paint like "Van Gogh" or how to create a sunset imagehttps://www.artnight.com/berlin/-J.[1] "In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin" by Erik Larson[2] "The Work of Art in the Age of Its Technological Reproducibility" by Walter Benjamin