[FRIAM] mathematicians computer graphic-ians — a little? help please

Jon Zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 00:00:03 EDT 2020

Dave,

Sorry-not-sorry to bring up Penrose again. One of my favorite
mathematical facts is that generalized Penrose tilings can be seen
as a consequence of projecting a 5-dimensional lattice
<https://arxiv.org/pdf/math-ph/0606028.pdf> into the
plane, where this lattice can be imagined as a tiling of hyper-cubes.
I am not sure this is helpful, but it is pretty cool. More to your goals:

two) I suspect not, but tell me more. Can you constrain the question?

three) Perhaps showing my age, less than 8 years ago I had to prove
for Dr. Starbird's class the theorem that there are only 5 regular
Platonic solids. What was interesting about the proof is that no
more than graph theory and algebra is needed. To some extent,
it is what is beautiful about these really early theorems.

Jon

ps. I prefer Gmail for editing together a post.