[FRIAM] millenarianism

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Jun 6 17:07:47 EDT 2020

Marcus  wrote:

> I actually don’t understand why people consider the social lubrication
> provide by non-verbal, in-person communication a good thing.   It
> seems to be widely believed that it is good if people don’t offend one
> another, and that in-person communication makes that easier.
>
> If there is a lack of context in a message, and some of the contexts
> would be offensive to some audience, then it is just as true in person.
>
> If someone smiles when they say it, really what is the difference?
>  Maybe what they are really doing is trying to bias the distribution
> of received interpretations to benign ones, while at the same time
> disseminating and normalizing the not-so-benign interpretations?

... and add the insidiousness of NLP and it gets yet more interesting...

I personally appreciate both modes A LOT.   I've learned some
interesting/important things about some of the "voices" on this list by
meeting the very same people in person, and/or on Video Chat.   When we
are doing the "brady bunch" thing on zoom, it helps me to see who is
listening to who with what posture before they respond.   I *believe* I
can read some of that stuff effectively over video, but I could be
wrong.   I also appreciate the more thoughtful, introspective responses
that text allows with it's asynchronous nature...   and the "distance"
of space/time/txt.   I also accept/acknowledge that everyone has their
own comfort with different "modes".

I do like your phrase: "trying to bias the distribution of received
interpretations to benign ones, while at the same time disseminating and
normalizing the not-so-benign interpretations".    I'm only passingly
familiar with NLP but I've experienced this many times (mostly from evil
bosses and salespeople) and can't believe it isn't a learned skill with
a whole section in the training manual.