[FRIAM] alternative response

Jon Zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 17:56:00 EDT 2020

Glen says:
I don't think free will is bound with (naive) morality at all. It's all
about selection functions. Do I turn this way or that. Do I eat some food,
go for a run, or read a book. So, I don't see it as "importing" anything.
Free will is all about which things are bound and which things are free (and
which things are partially bound ... constrained).

I would have to disagree. While I think that *will* more generally has to do
with the agency you mention, conversations of *free will* are a kind of
pathology that happens in the limit. When we discuss whether or not I have
this choice or that, the most trivial philosophical cases are those of
selection functions and don't require the full import of FREE will. Again,
the discussion of free will is for the benefit of whom? Outside of
conversations where we go back and forth about determinism and the degree to
which biology is or is not able to exploit indeterminism, the motivating
impetus for discussing free will is one of assigning responsibility.

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/