[FRIAM] Acid epistemology - restarting a previous conversation

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 11:28:36 EST 2020

Two things, Dave,

Peirce had actually 4 ways of knowing.  Stubbornness, Authority, Reasonableness, Experience, which he tries to treat with equal respect, but his heart is obviously with the last.  (The Fixation of Belief).  You make me wonder about the relation tween Peirce and that Vedic text.

But this begs the most fundamental question raised by your post.  What is knowledge, other than belief, and what is belief other than that upon which we are prepared to act?  There is one member of our group who, very much in the spirit of William James's altered states, wants to work on aura's  He has a tentative belief in aura's.  When through experiment and analysis he renders that belief "firm", does he then have knowledge.  Already he believes in the possibility of aura's.  We know that this is the case because of the effort he is willing to expend in their demonstration.  Does he have knowledge of the existence of auras?  Does he already know that aura's exist?

I think problems with the very idea of knowledge lie at the core of this discussion, and we need some sort of working understanding of what we mean by it, if we are to precede.

Nicholas Thompson
ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com
https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/