[FRIAM] Acid epistemology - Eric Help!!!!

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 10 13:46:28 EDT 2020

Glen,

Setting is absolutely key. A guide is a definite plus.

Hallucinogen use in cultures that incorporate same, is deeply contextualized in ritual. And it is the ritual that ensures "common" and "repeatable" experience. A visit to the Church of the Vegetal (not their actual name, but anyone in the city could find them by that) in Santa Fe embeds Ayuasca use in a four-six hour ritualistic context — as does any of the myriad places here in NL where you can experience the drug.

I do think that ritual more or less equals the protocol you talk about; and understanding the experience is a function of the protocol.

One of the issues I want to bring up with researchers at CSPR, is the effect/bias/misinterpretation of results when the drugs are taken in a clinical setting instead of the ritualized context that, I think, is essential to understanding the experience.

I don't proselytize, but I have on numerous occasions guided, at their behest, others in "tripping." I do know how to ensure that the experience will fall within certain parameters, even though ultimately determined by individual differences.

The conversation with Brigham was a one off, and came about without prior planning.  My multiple conversations with Hui Neng (6th Patriarch of Zen/Chan Buddhism) have been sufficiently repeatable that I have come to regard him as my personal guru.

I have been watching tourists come into Kokopelli's — a cool head shop in Amsterdam with a lounge area for users of mushrooms (truffles actually) and grass. Those experiencing "bad" trips and/or physical distress are those who are in it for the high and who have little experience. Exactly what you predicted.

davew