[FRIAM] Pragmaticism and puritanism

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 13:22:42 EDT 2020

First, I don't disagree fundamentally with your definition of science.

Second, I *disagree* that the kind of "verbal analysis and metaphorical 'play'" you and Dave have been doing is part of what people do when they do good science. What you've been doing is a part of being human, yes. And humans do science. So, fine. But correlation is not causation. These types of conversations have NOT been demonstrated as necessary for good science. My guess is that *most* scientists never engage in this sort of conversation ... heck, I'd guess most people never engage in this sort of conversation. I've had lots of conversations like these while *drinking* after the day is done (either working with scientists or at conferences). But it's not at all obvious that there's a causal connection between having these conversations and doing good work. Many of my scientist friends do excellent work, but bail on the pub-philosophy because they want to go home to their spouses and kids ... good science sans conversations about unicorns. Now, you could make an argument that this type of conversation helps facilitate the science ... or makes the science better, more complete, more efficient, or whatever. But, I'd suggest, to be credible, you'd have to eat your own dog food and *demonstrate* that these types of conversations do that.

Third, we're all OK up here re: the virus. Renee', being a nurse, has access to information that seems a little more sedate and professional than I've seen from other sources. I'm at risk because my immune system is compromised. I'll catch it, I'm sure, because I'm not going to change my behavior at all. I eat out a lot ... and I eat mostly salad, carrying whatever nastiness was growing on the hands of all the people who brought it from the dirt to my table. But if my cancer taught me anything, it's that death is nothing to be afraid of. I'm more worried about my neighbors. They're so afraid ... and they don't even seem to know what they're afraid of. So I'm doing my best to talk about hand washing and virus evolution every chance I get.

--
☣ uǝlƃ