[FRIAM] Pragmaticism and puritanism

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 12:28:00 EDT 2020

Glen,

There is a LOT in your messages that I like, agree with, and/or want to think more about before I respond.  First, tho, let me clarify my position.

I stipulate that IF the experiences produced by psychedelics are sciencible, then they are science.  What we call "SCIENCE"  is just a formalization and distillation of broader patterns of analysis and exploration that have proven to be more  successful, "i.e., science".  It is that broader pattern for which I claim privilege.   If there are patterns in experience, then this is the way to find them.  If this is NOT the way to find patterns in experience, then it is not science.  To the extent that the prejudices and practices of any group of scientists, myself included, are inconsistent with science, as understood above, they are probably NOT science, no matter who should claim otherwise.

I hope that you stipulate that the kind of verbal analysis and metaphorical "play" that we have been engaging in during this discussion is a PART of what people do when they do good science.  For my part, I stipulate that to pursue these activities to the exclusion of gathering data, either directly or indirectly, is to fetishize  philosophy and make a mockery of science.  Bit -- to allow myself a bit of agism-- it's what old people can do, or, perhaps, less grandiosely, it's what I can do right now.  And as long as I am tied to a community of inquiry -- that would be the rest of you, right -- I feel that I am pursuing science while doing it.  To the extent that I have fended off empirical data, I am a bad old bugger and should be horsewhipped.  In my defense, however, before you horsewhip me, let me say that I have tried to get clear, before I process the data on what happens when I take drugs, on the question of how that information is going to be worked into our scientific discussion, given that I perceive that there is some risk involved.

On another matter, Glen, how are you doing with, what ate you doing about, the covid19?. A couple of weeks ago,  I tried to get my wife to pack up and make a run for the pristine isolation of the Mosquito Infested Swamp, pleading great age and prior conditions.  Nothin' doin'.  So, now, I think, we are stuck.  I can think of worse places to be stuck than santa fe, but I hate feeling stuck, even in paradise.

Nick

Nick

Nicholas Thompson
ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com