[FRIAM] science privilege — fork from acid epistemology

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Thu Mar 12 14:13:30 EDT 2020

The evolution of philosophy to science is ubiquitous. Charles Needham documented how essentially all of Chinese science evolved from, mostly, Taoist philosophy.  Computational Science ala Leibniz derived from the Theistic Philosophy of Ramon Lull. Alchemy to Chemistry, etc. etc.

I agree with Glen, that is irrelevant to the problem he posed.

Can't provide a controlled experiment of the sort he suggested, but I can provide a supporting anecdote.

The software apprenticeship program I did at Highlands mandated a whole lot of philosophy and history of computing and technology as well as some Taoism and other philosophical odds and ends. We also made them read poetry and study anthropology, so the philosophy may or may not have been the prime determinant of results.

But, 22 students, 1 year in the program including freshmen who could not use a word processor to a couple of grad students with professional experience. (We had a one-room classroom.)

10 of the students published papers, that year, at one of the two refereed conferences with the highest rejection rates in the US at the time.

The "no cut and paste" student was supervising other students working on a Java J2EE project for the State Engineer's Office after one semester.

All of the students, including the freshmen with only that one year of apprenticeship, were placed in full-time developer jobs at the State of New Mexico or Los Alamos Labs (in admin area, not nuclear science area) when felon Aragon canceled the program.

The work of the students won an award from the New Mexico Information, Software, and Technology Association.

Definitely above average performance and due, at least in some small measure, to the philosophy — or so I think.

davew