[FRIAM] Zoom invite for March 20 Virtual FRIAM

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 19:32:10 EDT 2020

Stephen,  and Owen,

It is wonderful that you-guys are doing that.

An interviewee on TRMS convinced me last night that the current response (shutting down functions, extreme distancing, etc.) is designed to protect old white guys at the expense of younger brown ones.  Since the government consists largely of very old white guys, we can see why this is. But this policy is almost certainly unsustainable.  For instance, agricultural production depends on migrant labor, so if the border is really closed, there will be food only for the very richest amongst us.  So, once testing is up to speed, we are probably going to have to start leaking the virus through, hopefully holding the number of illnesses below the level of health system collapse.  This conversation has not started, but it will begin very soon, and at that point, a model will be needed that factors in the health effects on the economically most vulnerable against the health effects on the medically most vulnerable, we old white guys.  (I am 82, so I get to speak for OWG’S.)  It will have to be understood that some OWG’S will die so that many more young brown people can live.  . That will be the trade off, and you know how it’s likely to go unless we are ready do our part.   This will particularly tricky when the vaccine gets closer and we OWG’S become like the soldiers on the field during the last day before the Armistice.  Easy for me to say, I know, but If you have any way to show that relation, I hope it ultimately appear in your model.

In the meantime, I recommend that everybody use this time of social distancing to prepare and plant a garden.

Nick

Nick

Nicholas Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com