[FRIAM] unstated motivation for prediction across "phase transitions"

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 12:31:23 EDT 2020

Well, to be clear, I put "phase transition" in scare quotes because I think it's a terrible phrase and a bad analogy to pretty much anything in our psycho-socio-political world. It may even be a bad analogy for collections of organisms, though I'm less confident there. So the answer to your last question "Isn't this the lesson of a phase transition?" is *Mu*, a nonsense answer for a nonsense question.

To answer your first question, though, I would opt for the latter, where the pet-owner is identical to the environment housing the wild populations. Be sure I'm not analogizing between society and the pet owner, but the *environment* and the pet owner. It's the environment that develops canals into which the pets drift. It's the environment that develops "hot spots" that churn.

When I mentioned "partly designed" in the last post, I implied that the environment contains society, including all the teleological-with-limited-scope parts built by individuals and groups of individuals. I have no idea how well intention scales, though.

Those of us who've been lucky enough to find ourselves inside canals are the pets. Those of us out there in the churn are wild.

--
☣ uǝlƃ