[FRIAM] talk about rabbit holes ...

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 09:34:11 EDT 2020

Sorry for being unclear. I didn't intend to say that Frank Ramsey, who died in 1930, was the jerk. It's Jeffrey Ketland that I'm concerned about. And to be fair, it is traumatic to have an acquaintance commit suicide, regardless of the circumstances. Whether the "social justice league" who hounded afterward were right or wrong to hound him, it clearly biased his thinking from that point on.

Re: his entry on postmodernism - I think it's important to realize he didn't say the 3 (or 4) things were separate *definitions* of it, but that they contain those 3 main ingredients:

  • scepticism/incredulity at historical metanarratives.
  • Deconstruction of "hidden power structures"; social anarchism.
  • Intellectual obscurantism.

I like the way he frames them as ingredients because I vacillate to supporting it or criticizing it based on the other discussants. When someone writes off PoMo, I hold up bullets 1 and 2 to show how PoMo is in the tradition of good hard criticism. When someone advocates PoMo, I hold up bullet 3 to argue that they're silly mental contortionists.

As for "what comes after PoMo", *nothing*. To me, PoMo is an exercise in criticism. Period. They're just doing their duty and attempting to falsify unjustified beliefs. Any scientist should appreciate that as a component of critical rationalism. I mentioned a book awhile back by Mikhail Epstein: "The Transformative Humanities", which I think takes a good step toward "what comes after". But this isn't my domain. So, that's the only recommendation I have.

--
☣ uǝlƃ