[FRIAM] talk about rabbit holes ...

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Mar 27 10:06:12 EDT 2020

> Sorry for being unclear. I didn't intend to say that Frank Ramsey, who died in 1930, was the jerk. It's Jeffrey Ketland that I'm concerned about.
I felt that I was parsing that wrong but because I was rather tired and
losing focus I rushed to respond without going back and double-checking
my referents...  I'm not sure you were particularly unclear...
> Re: his entry on postmodernism - I think it's important to realize he didn't say the 3 (or 4) things were separate *definitions* of it, but that they contain those 3 main ingredients:
>
>   • scepticism/incredulity at historical metanarratives.
>   • Deconstruction of "hidden power structures"; social anarchism.
>   • Intellectual obscurantism.
>
> I like the way he frames them as ingredients

Once again, I probably read it too quickly/uncritically and projected
something onto it.   But to be clear, I *appreciate* them as ingredients
or perhaps qualities rather than definitions.

When I first encountered PoMo it was probably in the context of long
winded discussions with other young people when entered college.   It
was often a breath of fresh air with the first two points as you point
out, but it was the last one that probably bothered me the most... it
typified what I only knew then as "sophistry".

> When someone writes off PoMo, I hold up bullets 1 and 2 to show how PoMo is in the tradition of good hard criticism. When someone advocates PoMo, I hold up bullet 3 to argue that they're silly mental contortionists.
like that.
> As for "what comes after PoMo", *nothing*. To me, PoMo is an exercise in criticism. Period. They're just doing their duty and attempting to falsify unjustified beliefs.

I think I can appreciate that...  maybe what I am seeking is more like
epi-PoMo than post-PoMo...  from my lame and limited perspective, the
link you offered was in fact a bit of that which is what drew me to
respond in this otherwise chaotic moment.

Any document or person (like yourself I believe) who can both embrace
and reject (criticize) PoMo in the same breath is welcome to me...  it
represents the creation/maintenance of a tension which itself is the
point... not the points of attachment to create the tension.

My own criticism (really resentment) of PoMo is when it is used as a
blunt (or ragged/rusty?) instrument to threaten or intimidate others, it
doesn't do itself any favors.

>  Any scientist should appreciate that as a component of critical rationalism. I mentioned a book awhile back by Mikhail Epstein: "The Transformative Humanities", which I think takes a good step toward "what comes after". But this isn't my domain. So, that's the only recommendation I have.

I'll put that in my associative memory and look forward when it gets
reactivated again...

I haven't even begun to follow the earlier links/references but they
were bright shiny objects that I might get back to.

- Steve