[FRIAM] Warring Darwinians for Glen, Steve

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Fri May 1 19:16:37 EDT 2020

Absolutely.  If strong AI people are in the "quacks like a duck" school, than I am a strong AI person.

Devil’s advocate: So a robot could be made that would feel pain?

Well, you are cheating a bit, because you are asking me to participate in a word game I have already disavowed, the game in which pain is something inside my brain that I use my pain-feelers to palpate (see also Natsoulas, this volume). To me, pain is an emergency organization of my behavior in which I deploy physical and social defenses of various sorts. You show me a robot that is part of a society of robots, becomes frantic when you break some part of it, calls upon its fellow robots to assist, etc., I will be happy to admit that it is “paining.”

Devil’s advocate: On your account, nonsocial animals don’t feel pain?

Well, not the same sort of pain. Any creature that struggles when you do something to it is “paining” in some sense. But animals that have the potential to summon help seem to pain in a different way.

I apologize for constantly citing that paper.  But how could I possibly know what I believe if I don’t know what I have written.

By the way, back before Methuselah, there was a lovely psychological literature demystifying hypnosis. The basic set up was you have a bunch of “judges” on one side of a one-way glass window and subjects on the other side.  Two conditions: the subjects are hypnotized to do all the things they do OR the subjects are simply asked to do those things.  Judges could not distinguish the two kinds of subjects.

Nick

Nick

Nicholas Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com