[FRIAM] Warring Darwinians for Glen, Steve

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Sat May 2 09:12:57 EDT 2020

Glen said "So the problem of qualia and, say, whether or not we could build
a machine that *enjoys* playing the piano, you fall in the camp of the
strong-AI people. We can definitely build a machine that thinks and feels
just like a human. Is that right?"

To paraphrase Nick's answer:
Yes, of course we *can *build such a machine, so long as you agree to treat
"enjoy" and "think" and "feel" in the way that I do, and NOT as Chalmers or
the other dualists would. My approach does not contain a Chalmers-esque
hard problem.

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Department of Justice - Personnel Psychologist
American University - Adjunct Instructor
<echarles at american.edu>