[FRIAM] Warring Darwinians for Glen, Steve

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon May 4 13:44:04 EDT 2020

Hm. I can't quite parse this, but don't want to ignore it.

I'm not convinced that Chalmers' naturalistic dualism is at all different from Peirce's real/extant distinction. From that perspective, Chalmers' dualism and Nick's monism are irrelevant to whether or not Nick understands the hard problem. What one thinks is actually the case can be unrelated to one's taxonomy of possible cases. ("There are many like it, but this one is mine.")

I can admit, however, that any one formulation of the hard problem may *seem* very different from another formulation. But the mere rejection of a lexicon (e.g. "Chalmers-esque") is not a rejection of the problem being outlined. If category theory has taught us anything, it's that problems can seem quite different, but really be about the same thing. The very fact that we can have the discussion we're having is an indication that there is a "hard problem" and that it can act as a foil for choosing one's rifle.

--
☣ uǝlƃ