[FRIAM] Warring Darwinians for Glen, Steve

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue May 5 18:04:28 EDT 2020

Thanks. I've read the Chemero one. And I've read something by Hutto, but I don't think it was that. Regardless, my (maybe testable) hypothesis is what I'm interested in:

If a black box demonstrates behavior that can't be captured by any (known) algorithm, then that would be an indication that something (unmodelable) was happening inside the black box. And that unmodelable thing might be called "thinking".

We can extend that, I think, to "surprising behavior", which I think gets at what we usually mean by "thinking". If a black box demonstrates a long memory with not-quite-but-almost predictable behavior, then we might accuse it of thinking.

Both would be counter-examples to Dave's assertion.

--
☣ uǝlƃ