[FRIAM] Warring Darwinians for Glen, Steve

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Tue May 5 18:54:02 EDT 2020

I think the phenomenologists would claim that until you have realized that all worlds are only “inner worlds”, you haven’t properly interpreted the informal use of the word “world” into a philosophically serious frame.

Of course they are Continental Philosophers.  So one has the option to simply refuse to use any of the patterns or forms that they try to use consistently, and replace anything they say _in the way they say it_ with something else that oneself says _in some different way_, and then claim that when said in the different way, the point they were trying to make cannot be sensible, by construction.

I have on many occasions wondered what is the balance between rephrasing to get more angles on a question, versus rephrasing to insist on a scheme in which the question is unexpressible.  The former is an essential act of reason and discourse; the latter is a refusal to cooperate and a gambit to win a contest.  For any given statement, are we sure that it can be assigned to one and not the other?

Eric