[FRIAM] Warring Darwinians for Glen, Steve

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed May 6 09:37:30 EDT 2020

Excellent examples! For controlled experiments, though, I'd prefer to avoid testing subjects most people already think of as having an inside context ("inner world", experience-as, "what it's like to be a", etc. for anyone who might be triggered by the word "context" >8^). So, I wouldn't want to experiment on humans. Animals would be better. (My mom still doesn't believe animals have souls.) Bacteria would be good. Viruses might even be the best, given our current context.

Surely the "zero intelligence" literature has some suggestions for good experimental subjects. People often talk of the social insects as if they don't have minds. But maybe that's too far the other way?

My inclination would be to use something for which we have a somewhat decent computational analog. C. elegans <http://openworm.org/> might be a pretty good choice. There's a paper by Shalizi or Crutchfield, maybe, that talks about tradeoffs between space and time in computation that I'm pretty sure was posted on this list at some point. That type of evaluation criteria applied to both the computational model of C. elegans and the actual worm would, I think, come close to testing this "holographic" principle expressed by EricC. I'll try to find that tradeoff paper.

--
☣ uǝlƃ