[FRIAM] Warring Darwinians for Glen, Steve

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed May 6 12:30:18 EDT 2020

On 5/6/20 6:37 AM, uǝlƃ ☣ wrote:
> There's a paper by Shalizi or Crutchfield, maybe, that talks about tradeoffs between space and time in computation that I'm pretty sure was posted on this list at some point. That type of evaluation criteria applied to both the computational model of C. elegans and the actual worm would, I think, come close to testing this "holographic" principle expressed by EricC. I'll try to find that tradeoff paper.

Aha! Even better than Crutchfield's work (which always uses ε-machines), the paper I was thinking of is by Wolpert, Kolchinsky, and Owen:

A space–time tradeoff for implementing a function with master equation dynamics
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-019-09542-x

Perhaps more relevant to testing this "holographic" principle might be a paper they cite (by the same authors):

Number of hidden states needed to physically implement a given conditional distribution
https://arxiv.org/abs/1709.00765

--
☣ uǝlƃ