[FRIAM] Meanwhile, back on the troll farms

Roger Critchlow rec at elf.org
Thu May 7 16:34:46 EDT 2020

Jon --

I agree, they could work to fix the software problem, but they're not
interested in fixing the software problem.

I think their intention is to gamergate the corona virus, spreading FUD
about expert opinion.

With due respect to Marcus, I do think they're trolls, they think that all
of reality is one big con game, that the pandemic is a fraud, and that
acting like simpletons who believe that unit testing is sacred is the con
that they are called upon to play today.

And if github does anything about it, that just plays back into the Bill
Gates conspiracy theory.

Meanwhile, we have
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/physicists-criticize-stephen-wolframs-theory-of-everything/
working
the same angle:

So why did Wolfram announce his ideas this way? Why not go the traditional
> route? “I don't really believe in anonymous peer review,” he says. “I think
> it’s corrupt. It’s all a giant story of somewhat corrupt gaming, I would
> say. I think it’s sort of inevitable that happens with these very large
> systems. It’s a pity.”

Might take that as the conservative troll manifesto:  corruption is
inevitable, you may be all wrong in all the details but your heart will be
in the right place.

-- rec --