[FRIAM] the end of the pandemic

Robert J. Cordingley robert at cirrillian.com
Mon May 11 15:55:50 EDT 2020

Perhaps some data (from the last years that I could find) would put the
'anthropologists' argument in perspective?

2017-now US Population about 320 million.

*US Suicides* *2017*

    14.0 per 100,000

    Total: *47,173*

*US Motor Vehicle Fatalities* *2018*

    11.18 per 100,000

    Total: *36,560*

*US Covid-19 Fatalities 5/11/20 *132 days into the year with one wave
under our belt

    24.32 per 100,000

    Total 2019 YTD: *80,094*

*US Spanish Flu Fatalities (1918 H1N1 flu pandemic)* - in as many as
three waves.

    US Population: 103,208,000

    654 per 100,000

    Total Mar 1918 - Mar 1919: *675,000*

And yes people to go after the annual fatalities depending on the cause,
especially leading causes: heart disease, cancer, gun violence, opioid
abuse, domestic abuse, police violence, etc. And of course, you can
bring back jobs and the economy, you can't bring back lost loved ones.
And there are more waves to come.

And then we will continue experiencing more global warming induced
disasters: fires, flood, cyclones, more SARS-CoV-## style zoonotic
pandemics, climate refugees. What happens when these happen simultaneously?

It's hard not to conclude that capitalism is and has been a complete and
utter abject failure when responding and dealing with these events, not
mention it being among the causes, but I digress.

Ref:

https://www.acep.org/how-we-serve/sections/disaster-medicine/news/april-2018/1918-influenza-pandemic-a-united-states-timeline/

https://interestingengineering.com/the-1918-spanish-flu-and-what-it-cost-humanity-a-timeline

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/282929

Robert Cordingley - an occasional lurker.

Cirrillian
Web Design & Development
Santa Fe, NM
http://cirrillian.com